Monday, July 20, 2009

Turning 40

The birthday that I remember the most is my 19th birthday. I was coming off a long day of school at the University of Santo Tomas in Manila. All I wanted was to get home quickly so that I can enjoy a good meal with my family. But God had other plans as I drawn to a beautiful young woman who has never used public transportation before, and was in need of my help getting home. Fearing for her safety I decided to help her. This decision surprised me personally as I have never done anything like this before. I was even about ready to bring her home personally when we realized there was only one seat left on the final ride home. So there and then we said our goodbyes. Fate was unkind. It was never meant to be. I remember feeling sad that night as I didn't get the chance to know her. For all intents and purposes, she was gone forever.

Since that time I grew up. I graduated from my first pre-med degree. Witnessed the death of my parents. Travelled to the United States. Went to seminary. Lived in Pasadena, California and in Macksburg, Iowa. Became a United Methodist pastor. Lost a love or two. Got Married. Had a daughter. Returned to California. Had a son. Bought a condo where my wife and I can retire when everything is said and done.

In the twenty-one years after my 19th birthday life has taken me in some interesting directions traveling to different places, doing seminary work and becoming a United Methodist pastor, pastoring different kinds of churches, becoming a husband and a father, and many more.

I will turn 40 tomorrow. I wonder what will that birthday feel like? Turning 40 seems like a birthday that will place me in the middle of everything. I have a wife and two adorable children, a retirement place, and a vocation that I truly enjoy that provides well for me and my family. What else can I ask for?

How will my 40th birthday feel? I have matured a lot since my 19th birthday. I don't think any one birthday will become a turning point for me as I have learned to enjoy what life has to offer--the good and the bad. So bring it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment